Sunday, March 25, 2012

Phil is Home.

Phil and Meg enjoying the lightening show.
Heather's Birthday Celebration






Beautiful









Phil is home from a 6 night and 7 day stay in the hospital.  We did get to enjoy a birthday celebration with our daughter, and spend some time together watching the beautiful sunsets at the Cleveland Clinic.  Sounds funny to say "enjoy" when he's in the hospital, but we did enjoy taking him to the rooftop of Cleveland Clinic.  It was a much needed break from the wait of Phil's team deciding what is best for him regarding his infection on his back. 

However, I must admit that the best sunset was the night we came home.  I in sheer exhaution decided that the puppies needed to go on a walk, or their energy could possibly cause me to lose my mind at any moment.  Sometimes, God provides you with just what you need to rejuvinate you in the simplest form at the right moment in life. The picture at the bottom is the sunset Megan and I watched together after a long week.

Unfortunately, Phil's infection that is located on his back which stems from the titanium near his spine is getting worse.  Doctors placed the titanium nearly eight years ago to reconstructe the sacrum after it was shattered from receiving the maximum dose of radiation in attempt to kill the tumor that was located there. Stupid Myeloma.  It's was a blessing that the tumor died, but right now their is an abcess which is an enclosed collection of liquefied tissue, known as pus, near the titanium in his sacrum. It is the result of the body's defensive reaction to the foreign material (or titanium) which now places him at a high risk for the infection to enter into his blood stream and therefore making him septic.  Very dangerous, and very serious.
Enjoying cupcakes from a friend.

It was very difficult for me to wait patiently for the plan.  Some of Phil's "team" wanted to remove the titanium and do surgery, others didn't, and I am pretty sure that some of them didn't even know what was best for Phil, but they would never admit to it.  It just seemed to be happening in slow motion, and I just wanted to take Phil home.  I am thankful he is home today, and can enjoy me harrassing him to the fullest at any given moment (it's what I do best). 

What we know right now is, we wait for the culture to come back, and determine which antibiotic will work best in fighting the infection.  While he was in the hospital they aspirated some of the infection while using guided CT scan to locate the abcess near his spine.  Once they know which antibiotic will work best, they will place a PICC line in his arm.  A PICC line (which is just a long-term intravenous line) will allow him to receive IV antibiotics at home.  Although, the infection will remain while the titanium is there, this will at least suppress the infection and keep him from going septic.  Surgery risks at this time outweighs the benefits, which sounds like a double edged sword.  It needs to come out, but so many risks involved if they perform surgery.  Chemotherapy was stopped for the next week to allow his immune system to rebound.  Which is great because he feels so much better without it, and yet I wonder what the Myeloma is doing without it, stupid Myeloma. 

In this past week I was very stressed from Phil's stupid Myeloma, but God provided a moment of rejuvination and tranquility while enjoying a sunset with family.  It's such a simple pleasure that sometimes we take for granted.  It's amazing to me that no matter what I am going through, or how chaotic my situation may seem, God provides the peace that is needed at the perfect moments in life for me.  Enjoying time with my family and watching a sunset has become one of the greatest memories I treasure.  There is always, always, always, something to be thankful for.
Meg and I went for a walk with the puppies, peaceful, calming, and again beautiful moment in life.

1 comment: