Sunday, August 26, 2012

Under Construction

I have fond memories of multiple trips to our local Home Depot with my beloved husband.  The other day, I had to make my "new first" trip without him.  I was prepared to recapture the priceless, and cherished moments of my life working on certain projects with Phil.  Just as I had predicted, I was instantly engulfed with Phil at the entrance of the door.  It was the scent of fresh cut wood that lingered in the air as I walked through the automatic doors.  It was a time of reflection of all that I learned from him in our backyard or in the "man cave" measuring, cutting, planning and laughing.  All the things that we have torn down, then rebuilt with a better structure, quality, and strength.  The most important part of rebuilding is the foundation, and I had a wonderful husband whose life was built on the foundation of God.

Just as God is, Phil was always was specific, detailed, and meticulous in his design of the foundation.  "The foundations are what make a structure solid", he would remind me.  He would spend what felt like an eternity digging the hole deep enough to poor the concrete, set the beam, and allow it to set.  He taught me much about patience, because I would continue to say, "That's good, what's next."  Just as in life, you can hurry along, put all your money and time and effort into a beautiful house, but without a solid foundation it will all come crashing down.  What is your foundation in life built on?  Are you anchored securely to God? 

Everyone of you can expect to experience storms in your life - nobody is exempt – both the rich and poor, young and old we will all face storms. Jesus says that to build a life that succeeds, that will last, you have to build on ROCK - on Him and His word. He is the unshakable foundation we need to face the challenges in life.  Everything else that we trust in, rely on, changes, fades, washes away, and fails. 

The first step is believing in Him, Christ loves you, and accepts you just as you are. He is faithful and just to forgive us.  How great is it to think of God wrapped around you during your storm. He is willing and able to rebuild, comfort, and strengthen you in your weakest hour. Just call on Him, and he will be there.

I am not perfect in this challenge of losing my loving husband.  At times I feel as if my life that has been structurally chipped away, torn down, and left deserted.  I had a realization one day, and it hit me all at once.  "One day I was married, and the next day I was a widow."  Wow, it impacted my identity, faith, and strength at different stages over the past month.  At times I have felt alone, fearful, depressed, and lonely.  I went as far as telling God he has left me in destruction, only to find out I am under construction.  He is rebuilding, remodeling, and teaching me on His solid ground, for He is my carpenter.     

Some of you may not have lost a husband, but maybe your dealing with divorce, drugs, alcohol, relationships with your children, or whatever it is in your life keeping you from being what God wants you to be.  Before you can begin healing, mending, and repairing your life you need an overhaul with God, you need to set firm in the foundation built on Him and His word. 

Father thank you for your strength to hold me in this storm.  Thank you for carrying me through the rain, trials, and learning process's of life.  I ask for your guidance, comfort, and to let your light shine through me during this difficult rain in my life.  I place my life on promises of Your word, and ask that you help me keep the foundation solid as you work in my life.  In Jesus name, Amen.

Matthew 7:24-27
    Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because its foundation on the rock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment