Monday, November 1, 2010

Be On Your Guard Against Greed

     I was reading this morning that in 1900 the average person living in the United States wanted 72 different things, and considered 18 of the essential.  Today, the average person wants 500 different things and considers 100 of them essential.
     John D Rockefeller was asked once, "How much money does it take to satisfy a man?"  He replied, "Just a little more."  I remember in my early 20's when I would think, if I just made this much money it would be easier and I would be happier.  It didn't get easier, I just wished for a little more. 
      Greed comes in many forms and has many faces.  Some of us want the fastest car, the nicest home, the higher status, the most applause, the prettiest date, or what ever hunger pain it gives you.  Greed can lead you to debt, ruin relationships, or leave you feeling empty.  When greed begins to growl in your stomach, and you feed it, you begin to lose all sense of purpose.  Greed can take over your whole sense of being, making you chase after material things that will never be enough and you will always want more. 
     "Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth never has enough income. (Eccles 5:10 NIV).   I want to get out of debt, live within my means, and enjoy more time with my family.  I don't want to owe anyone, or chase the buck to get it, I want a simplier life with the purpose of time with family.  Each day is precious, each moment with them is cherished, and "things" will come and go.... family will not.

2 comments:

  1. Amen!
    "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
    1 Timothy 6:10
    Love you Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grass always looks greener when you look at people that are "well off" but they have their own demons to struggle with and most involves the almighty dollar. Plus you can't take your stuff with you anyway :P

    ReplyDelete