Friday, November 5, 2010

Sticks and Stones

     What is the Greek meaning of rudeness, it is shameful or disgraceful.  I am guitly of being rude, and using words in a malicious intent to hurt others and I am deeply saddened with my actions.  Hindsight is 20/20, and I cannot go back and change those actions but move forward and learn from my mistakes.
     To listen to our vocabulary you'd think we were victims of our thoughts and tongues, as if they were in control of us.  We like to blame our mood on our words.  "I was in a bad mood", as is we have no control.  Foul language, name calling, swearing, and rudeness is not used because of what mood we are in, or what demenour we have, but rather as a choice of weapon.
     The old saying we all learned as a child; "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me", is WRONG.  Name calling, rudeness and swearing at someone does hurt.  It hurts the heart of a YOU-nique individual.  It leaves an emotional attatchment to what we feel and think of ourselves, or how we perceive what someone thinks of us.  Sometimes easily forgotten, and sometimes that memory lasts a life time.
      Is it ok to get angry, certainly.  Is is ok to disagree with someone, of course. Do we have the right to bark at our kids? Yes. Do we have the right to dominate the arguement at times with our spouses? Absolutely, but an arguement, or disagreement can be done in loving way.
     How we respond and treat others is our own choice.  The words we use, the thoughts we think, and the reactions we give to people IS a choice.  So next time your about to lash out with foul language, name calling, or smearing one's name; pause and think.  Maybe try to use language that will deescalate the situation, you can also walk away then regroup when tempers are not ignited , or you can use a loving constructive critizism.
     I am not saying this is easy, but words of descruction cut right to the heart...
    
 

1 comment:

  1. wise words Jenny, ones that I should have thought of before I had that exact situation with one of my children. =(

    ReplyDelete